There is an epidemic of Gas Pump skimming that has been reported along Interstate 10 from Florida all the way to California. Cardholders should take precautions when traveling and vacationing along this interstate. To emphasize the magnitude of the problem in his state, the Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam had his department do a sweep of over 6,000 gas stations in Florida and found 81 skimmers. A full list of credit card skimmers found at Florida gas pumps can be seen here.
Recommended Actions and Precautions
While this gas pump skimming is prevalent along the Florida to California corridor, we advise all of our members to take precautions at EVERY gas station.
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Check lighting conditions around the station
- Check the condition of the gas pumps themselves
- Look for any signs of tampering or something out of place
- Check to make sure the gas pump dispenser cabinet is closed and has not been tampered with. Many stations are now putting a piece of security tape over the cabinet to ensure it has not been opened by unauthorized individuals
- Use a gas pump closer to the front of the store, where tampering is harder to do
- Monitor bank accounts regularly to spot unauthorized charges